[at-l] Down Wash & Down Proofing

Aloha All!

Orange Bug and I have recently been discussing the attributes, or lack
thereof, of products like Nikwax Down Wash and Nikwax Down Proof.  Both came
recommended by former thru hikers.  (Could be yanking my chain here.)  The
Down Wash is a non-detergent liquid soap that cleans down sleeping bags,
garments and comforters.  The Down Proof is a wash-in waterproofing for
down-filled clothing and sleeping bags.

The current discussion revolves around whether or not waterproofing down will
in all actuality do more damage to the down than good by holding in any body
moisture.

So, what's everyone's thoughts or experiences with/on these type products?
That would include those that may have sprayed a Nikwax type substance on
portions of their bags (foot boxes or side seams maybe).

Aloha!  Ann
    ~\ooo/~
   (shaka!)

multipart/alternative