[at-l] clothes

Aloha Orangebug!

I totally agree that I probably will not use the tights for any kind of
actual hiking but more for in camp.  Something warm and clean to climb into.
Or at least those were my thoughts.  I've found that while hiking, my upper
thighs often remain cold and that's even when wearing longjohns and such.  My
toes have a tendency to become very cold while in a sedate (camp) state.
That includes in the bag with socks on.  Don't have the foggiest what causes
it.  Even have the problem at home sometimes under two sets of sheets and a
down comforter.  Anyway, my concern isn't so much while moving but in camp.

I do have to laugh a bit though.  It was this list and the Ruck that
convinced me to go out and buy the light weight fleece lined pants.
Recommended by both men and women alike but mostly women.  I love this stuff!

As for me being doubtful.. ... always!  That's what makes it fun.  It gives
me an excuse to buy more stuff!

Mahalo again for taking the time to respond.

Aloha!  Ann

In a message dated 3/29/2001 11:14:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
thornel@attglobal.net writes:

> I was really impressed how well my legs stayed warm with only hiking pants
> and rain pants during my blizzard hike. Even in camp, my legs and feet were
> never a problem - at least after five minutes of getting my feet into the
> frozen boots. :)
>
> I had planned to bring fleece pants and someone on this list advised
> against it. That was very good advice, and I see fleece pants useful only
> for football games and other sedentary outdoor activities. Walking makes a
> great deal of heat. A good hat and layers over your upper body will
> preserve that heat. I guess that is why those guys in the Alps wear those
> odd shorts (we had one of them foreigners at Clemson in my day, and he
> never changed them - ever).
>
> Bringing the extra clothes may be the sort of thing to help her build
> confidence in herself, and confidence she will be well prepared for all
> weather changes. She will dump stuff and get new stuff as she moseys up
> North. I hope she doesn't get too doubtful in these final days of
> preparation.

Aloha!  Ann
    ~\ooo/~
   (shaka!)