[at-l] 2 Gear Questions

At 09:26 AM 3/29/01 -0500, RoseMarie/Al Sarra wrote:
>...clip...
>Given that many of us feel overly restrained in mummy bags and yet don't
>want to carry the larger (heavier) bags which allow semi-unrestrained
>movement, then:
>
>Why not a sleeping bag shaped and sewn like a jump suit?  You know, arms,
>legs and a torso with maybe a hood, maybe not?  Zipper down one side or down
>the front. At first thought, it seems that such a bag would allow absolutely
>unrestrained movement.  Would not be confining. Would not require the body
>to heat unoccupied air space.

The idea of not heating unoccupied air space is the principle behind the
mummy bag. Bear in mind (better there than ransacking your food bag) that
both legs in a single space will help one another stay warm. Same with arms
in close proximity to the torso. The more surface area you have by
spreading out, the greater the heat loss.

>Would be lighter than conventional bags.

Not necessarily. You are increasing the total surface you have to insulate.
>...clip...
>After maybe 3 or 4 minutes of hard thinking, I only came up with two
>possible negatives.  The first is with really warm weather use when folks
>just like to sleep on top of their bag. It would be awkward with this one.
>And the second is that it doesn't allow, errr, uhhh, that is, ummm it is
>truly a uhhh one person bag.

Agreed on both counts. Actually the second is a good argument for a large
rectangular bag if you like sleeping 'close'.

Saunterer