[at-l] clothes

Hi Ann,

A lot of people have been saying to leave behind the fleece.  Many people
fare just fine without fleece leggings of some kind.  I like having the
extra warm layer with me and used my fleece lined tights almost every night
last week on the AT in GA.

I would leave behind anything that is intended for town use mostly (ie. the
railriders).  You can wear the frogg toggs while doing laundry and then
change back into more comfy clothes.

Also, rather than have "fleece" socks for sleeping, I would just have
another pair of regular hiking socks.  Even if you always reserve one for
sleeping, the wear and tear of the trail will be spread out amongst three
pairs of socks rather than two.  Also, if you end up having to walk in the
"sleeping" socks for some reason (I sometimes did when I knew I was walking
into town that day), fleece are just not as comfortable in your boots.

I also recommend the teva-like sandals.  Check out Walmart "lugunas".  They
weigh about 7oz. for the pair - much lighter than most (all?) true Tevas.
Plus, you can ford streams in them.

Re: neoprene gloves.  Have you ever worn them?  I find they just feel cold.
Overmitts to keep the rain and wind out might be good or just add some
liners and always keep one pair dry.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99