[at-l] (no subject)

Alrighty, putting registration in this week for the Dogwood 50k and want to
confirm some trails with ya'll that might live out that way.  I'm using
both Topo USA 3.0 from Delorme and the PATC trail map that I got last year
for the hike.

This year I want to start at 522 interesection of the AT and head south.
Will camp first night at Hogback Mountain.  This is the easy part.  Now for
the second day (Thursday) I'll be leaving Hogback Mountain and heading off
the AT to get to the event on Saturday.  The map from PATC has a route down
via Tuscarora Trail extension, but quite honestly, it's a bit round about.
So here's my plan -

Down from Hogback Mt via the AT a little less than a mile heading west onto
the  Elkwallow-Mathews Arm Trail for half a mile.  Turn north onto the
Tuscarora Overall Run Trail for 1.35 miles and this is where I change from
the prescribed trail on the PATC map.

They have you heading via the Overall Run trail all the way to the road,
but seems to me the Matthews Arm Fire Rd would be quicker, so heading north
still on that I'm going to run into Matthews Arm Rd, then  right onto SR630
(Thompson Hollow Rd),  then left onto Bentonville/Browntown Rd.  Reaching
RT 340, head south about 1000 feet, then hang a right onto SR 613 (Indian
Hollow Rd/Panhandle Rd).   Take that across the Shenandoah and head north
on Panhandle. 1.62 miles north on Panhandle Rd, then I look for the
trailhead for  (Tuscarora\Veach Gap Trail) aside a road that heads off to
the east (unnamed on my map).  I'll take that trail to the peak where it
meets Massanutten Mountain Trail - camp there for the night. (or maybe head
down to the Veach Gap shelter depending on how the view is and the weather)
- total mileage this day is only 11.7ish according to Delorme.  (Delorme
doesn't do a very good job with true distancing based on elevation from
what I've noticed - for instance - it gave me a net mileage of about 1700
miles for the AT, and we all know that's just a tad off)  I'm guessing that
distance is closer to 13ish, but that's a pretty easy day.  (anyway.. off
my tangent)

Next day (Friday) I'll head down the mountain via Massanutten Mountain
Trail to Veach Gap (if i didn't already) and go northwest through the gap
until I come out on Veach Gap Road.  About 500 yds down the road, the
Delorme shows a split off going north of the Veach Gap Trail (PATC map
doesn't show this existing - is it really there?)  If that trail is there,
I'll head north on that to Ramsey Rd  and then hitting Fort Valley Rd head
north to pick up Glenmont Farm Rd northwesterly.  The PATC map shows this
as a private/dry weather road?  Any thoughts?  If this is impassable up to
Mudhole Gap via Little Passage Creek then I'll just go up at Mine Gap and
then head north to the Powell's Fort Camp.

So there's my expedition from the AT to the Dogwood 50k.  Anyone coming
along to join?

I may just take a drive up and scout the area first, but would be sooo much
easier if i could find out if all this is passable territory before I do.
Semper Hiking
Patch/USMC