[at-l] Snakes

> 1.  Don't worry about snake bite.  I know of no one bitten by a
> poisonous snake on the AT in several years.

In early August last year while at the Deckertown Turnpike trailhead in
NJ, I was told that the nearby Rutherford Shelter had been closed
because a family of copperheads had established themselves under the
shelter and on different occasions had bitten three persons staying in
the shelter.  Whether this is fact or fiction all I can say is that it
was genuine hearsay.

Bob Brooks