[at-l] Wingfoot bashing

At 04:24 PM 3/23/01 -0600, you wrote:

>I've never heard this before. You mean he really didn't do 7 Thru-Hikes?

I believe he has publicly admitted that two of his claimed thru hikes weren't actually
thru hikes.  Beyond that, it gets mushie.....Someday I'd like to know if he proclaimed
all seven and was certified by the ATC for same.

> > That is the issue at hand.  Why is ' dan the unelected' ....appointed only by
> > himself the "goto" guy for all things AT?
> > It's a valid question worthy of discussion.
>
>It's a very simple point that is often missed in all the WingNut bashing.
>The guy is simply trying to make a living.

Ya know, I used to make the same argument in his defense!!  As much as
he doth protest, he has found a way to do what he wants to do and make
a living at it!  NOTHING wrong with that in my book.   But the pity me, I'm
working too hard stuff is over kill. IMHO.    My big beef with him came
when he lied for months to the class of 99 about the publish
date for the handbook.  He screwed with their heads........he could have told them the
truth from the get go.  And of course the big lie and the hypocrisy of
the Avery's...sorta hard to swallow, but hey....I used to watch Jimmy Swaggert too....

>His self promotion is not to elect himself "head of all things Thru" but to
>drum up enough enough publicity about himself and his website to make a
>living.

I hope you are right here, but I'm afraid he's starting to believe his own press.....
Why does he seem to want to supplant the ATC?  How will that fatten his wallet?
I'm afraid this is beyond money....

>This does not excuse his allegedly fascist censoring of his website. But it
>does explain most of his other behavior.... IMO.
>
>And as for the "go to guy" comment; I think it shows a fundamental
>misunderstanding of the media.

That's why Anklebear's suggestion is interesting.   Maybe we should speak
up and give "The rest of the story".   Maybe we could organize a letter writing
campaign and everyone would swear to write a ....nevermind <g>