[at-l] spreading fear etc

the Ten Essentials?
aimee (revealing her ignorance)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim and/or Ginny Owen [mailto:spiriteagle99@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 7:58 AM
To: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: [at-l] spreading fear etc

David, one thing to remember.  A lot of people are on these lists who have
VERY little experience.  They look to the experienced hikers to teach them
what they need to know to backpack. Sometimes a hiker gets flamed, not for
what they actually did, but for seeming to promote practices that can be
dangerous for others.  The long ago umbrella wars had nothing to do with the

usefullness of carrying an umbrella, and everything to do with a perception
that newbie hikers were being told, "Go ahead, leave your rain gear at home,

even in winter.  An umbrella is all you need."  For the speaker, that may
have been true, for the newbie out in the Georgia mountains in March, that
could get them killed.  So, while everyone does things that are
stupid/dangerous/iffy - because they seem to be the best thing to do at the
time, and we usually get away with it - we may get flamed if we seem to be
telling others "Go ahead, be stupid, dangerous and iffy too.  If I survived
it, so will you."  It's like teaching people to carry the Ten Essentials.
It's a good idea, and with experience hikers can figure out whether they
really need all the items or not.  As an unwilling veteran of many flamewars

I can tell you, and Brawnie, this too will pass.  Eventually, all will be
forgiven if not forgotten.

Ginny