[at-l] Rain pants vs wind pants

-----Original Message-----
From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Daria Reilly
>>I have wind pants that are fairly water resistant. Should I be wearing
>>actual rain pants?? Sorry about all the questions. I'm in my last minute
>>panic!

Depends on your hiking style. I heat up very easily while hiking, and find
polypro long johns with shorts great, even in the nastiest, coldest weather
I found on my thru-hike.  When it really gets bad, I find that a simple pair
of windpants works great for me.

But, if you hike 'cold', a pair of rainpants may be better. If the BTUs are
not being pumped out that high, rain pants will conserve the heat better.

For what its worth, being wet is not dangerous, it is being wet AND cold
that is dangerous. The trick is to find a system that works for you...

Hike hot? Simple wind pants may do the trick...
Get cool easily, even when hiking? Real rain pants are the way to go...

And no need to apologize for all the questions...would be a boring forum if
we didn't ask questions. :)

Mags

************************The true harvest of my life is intangible... a
little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched.
--Thoreau

Shop online without a credit card
http://www.rocketcash.com
RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary