[at-l] Maine Rose's original post

 Many people have written me saying they missed Rosie's original post and
need to be filled in on the situation.  I had printed and deleted that
post, but I have retyped it and hope it's accurate.  It's at the bottom
of this post.  I am re-sending it to at-l, the ALDHA list, WomenHikers,
and the PATH list.  If there's another list it should be sent to, please
feel free to forward it on.  I'll be sending another post later today with
the latest news from Rosie's family.  --  eArThworm

Dear Friends,

This is a difficult letter to write because of its precarious nature.
However, it is necessary because so many of you played such a big part
in my life before, during, and after thru-hiking the AT in '95 and the
subsequent looong period of time we all worked so hard on putting the
women's book project together.  It was a truly fantastic collaborative
effort by hundreds of women throughout the country who contributed
selflessly in offering their hearts, souls, and spirits to this wonderful
endeavor.

On February 12th I was uninjured in a front collision by a drunk driver
who attempted to leave the scene.  I considered myself quite fortunate to
sustain only bruising from the seat belt and a few other minor bruises plus
a totaled '93 Toyota Tercel with almost 96,000 miles.  However, a few days
later, in what seems like complete unrelated circumstances, I started
feeling a definite weakness on my left side that seemed to be like a stroke
...and wasn't.  After undergoing a CAT-Scan and MRI, I was found to have
two  brain tumors, one of which is benign and been there for at least 15
years resulting in the hearing loss that always puts folks walking on my
right side.  The other is far more serious, very deep, and we still don't
know what is going on although I will be going in for a procedure to the
Maine Medical Center tomorrow.  Many of you have seen my slides and heard
my stories over the years and know I have 3 amazing sisters who supported
me completely the year of my hike.  They are all here now.  One left a
fishing trip in New Zealand traveling via her Detroit home to get here ASAP.
Another liquidated her California set-up immediately with her husband
following a few days later and the third lives upstairs.  We are sharing our
childhood home here in Portland, Maine.  I am completely surrounded by love
and support and am quite at peace with the current health situation.  I know
several women on this list have been through some very similar dire crises
and I draw strength from their brave examples.

I am not a religious person but do take prayers from all denominations :).
I have also spoken to Brian King at the ATC about republishing the book with
possibly a short inspirational chapter I will try and dictate into a small
hand recorder and someone at the ATC will edit.  If the book has helped you
in any way, please send your comments directly to the ATC.

I wish you all wonderful health, happiness, and any kind of hikes you wish to
put under your feet.  My sisters will be checking my e-mail hittrail@aol.com:
their names are Janice Martino, Ruth- Anne Hugo, and Candy Alper.  Candy's
husband and son are doctors and also working on my case.

Good luck and love to you all,
Happy Trails,
Beverly Rose Hugo (Rosie)
"Maine Rose"