[at-l] closest trail crossing to Boston?

>Cornwall Bridge, via I 84, to rt 44, to rt 4.
>Lee, MA via I 95 (Mass Turnpike)
>North Adams/Williamstown, via Rt 2
>Hanover, NH via I 93, I 89
>North Woodstock, NH via I 93
>
>Using a rather poor New England map I measured the distance as the
>crow flies: Hanover is closest geographically, it's a tie for second
>place for both Lee, MA and North Adams. Third place goes to Cornwall
>Bridge, and fourth is North Woodstock. This seems pretty
>counterintuitive to me. Perhaps because N. Woodstock seems to be the
>easiest to get to via I 93. Any other analysis is more than welcome.

  Using Maponus.com Here are the results:
#1 - Lee, MA & Hanover, NH (121 miles, 2 h 30 m)
#2 - N. Adams/Williamstown  (128 miles, 2 h 52 m)
#2 - N. Woodstock  (130 miles, 2 h 40 m)
#3 - Cornwall Bridge  (143 miles, 2 h 57 m)

I had to use the centers of towns in order to get the data using this
site. I found it more useful to use than mapquest which I've used in
the past. Mapsonus site allows you to put in intermediate locations
in order to use the route that you wish to use. (Sometimes the
algorithms in these programs come up with 'creative' routes. For
instance the route to N. Adams had me use the Mass Pike when Rt 2 was
19 mins faster AND 25 miles shorter!)

--
Arthur D. Gaudet         	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer)  	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH