[at-l] closest trail crossing to Boston?

At 05:44 PM 3/19/01 -0500, Arthur Gaudet wrote:
>I'm wondering out loud here. Has anyone in the MA, NH, VT area ever
>figured out which road crossing is closest in either time and distance
>from Boston. Here are some candidates:

This is a good question, one that I pondered initially some years
back.  The practical answer lies in some sort of time-based contour map,
relative to your starting point, since certain major roads, at least at
off-peak hours like 4 AM, can move you along at 75 mph with no problem.  So
you end up with a contour map showing locations 30 minutes, 60 minutes, and
90 minutes from Cambridge, to use my workplace as the origination point.

So I have no direct answer to your question about the closest AT point, but
I-93/Franconia Notch is certainly a good guess.

One thing though, being both a hiker and a downhill skier, fresh back from
Sunday River, ME.  We need another limited access speedway to the
north-country.  We've needed it for some time, actually.  P'haps we can
call it I-97, though it would be out of sequence.  (But so
what,  I-91/89/93 are out of sequence, too...)

Anyway, my new I-97 (four lanes in each direction) will take off flying N
from 495, following the existing MA/NH Rte 125 to Rochester, NH.  From
there, it will head directly N, exactly on the NH/ME border, at least up to
where Rte 16 intersects it.  Good idea, hey?   God, I love Caterpillar D-9
dozers and blasting caps...

The Wizard!  A gleam in his eye, a bounce in his step!