[at-l] the Kelty Flight 60

I had an off list query about my backpack, and my last comments were
fairly brief on the subject.

I like the pack, in general. I wound up with the large size. I found
the 3/4 Guidelite substitutes well for the internal pad along my back,
and that the stays are easy to bend and fit to my back. However, the
length of the pack puts much more stress on my shoulders than on my
hips as I would like. It is very easy to adjust its straps and buckles,
and I've had no problems with the attachments being fragile or failing.
I wonder if I could shorten the stays or take up an inch of the back of
the bag, and will inquire of Kelty before making any modifications.

I used the side bags which hold a fleece jacket (very firmly packed)
and were convenient to hold maps, hats, gloves and such. I did not use
the shovel pocket as I strapped the Ridgerest across the back. It has
very good compression straps. The hard plastic covered straps didn't
make sense to me, although I kept 2 on the bottom of the pack to help
leverage it while shoving my sleeping bag and other stuff into it. I
fond no need for any straps on the bottom of the lid, as the platypus
stayed in place very well between the pack and the lid. I wish the lid
has longer straps attached and could be used easier as a fanny pack. I
like that as a means of carrying my safety gear at all times -
especially while going for water or toilet. I also kept a portion of
old Ridgerest (my dog ate most of it) rolled and under the lid's
attachment and above the large Ridgerest. I could pull it out quickly
for a dry seat, and used it to help carry trash. This was also where I
carried the Tyvek ground cloth for my tent.

In summer, I'd carry only the 3/4 Guidelight wrapped around the stays
inside the pack, and probably would use the shovel pocket to carry wet
gear and tent/hammock.

I strapped the crampons to the Ridgerest and buried the sharp points
into it. I never got to use them. I really wish I had purchased the
snow shoes, and wish the staff at Happy Hiker had been a bit more
aggressive salespeople.

I like the Dana pouch that attaches to the shoulder straps. It keeps
today's snacks, map and camera handy, next to a liter bottle holder. I
wish the Flight 60 had some elastic mesh on the sides or near the
bottom. It would increase weight, but would also provide flexible
bottle and wet gear carry space.

This bag needs a pack cover. Snow fell on the pack while walking under
branches and soaked the material. I never found evidence that pack
contents got wet, but the pack did get heavier.

OrangeBug