Gross to the MAX URSINE was Re: [at-l] Somewhat OT Help Needed

> Yes, it was gross. I'm sorry I said anything, but description of the
> traumas and all the efforts of her ex-husband, strangers and the park
> staff would be obscene and insulting of her dignity. No one will ever
> know exactly why this occurred, but she or her husband had photographed
> the bears earlier, especially liked their campsite, and were
> accomplished and experienced campers/hikers. After the fact, there were
> a few reports of these bears causing trouble for others, with
> frustration that these weren't reported until they had to kill both
> bears and a human life was lost.

I worked at Elkmont for a couple of years and I am familiar with the spot
where the lady was killed.  At first, when I heard about it, I thought that
it was probably a murder.  I have camped all along the Little River and
although there are usually problems each year with the upper campsites,
nothing like that had ever occurred in that area.   I mean, you talk about
I-95, in the summer, this stretch is it.  But then I started remembering
encounters, some charging and that sort of thing so I  thought, hey, maybe
one of them just decided not to bluff.  It happens very seldom and when it
does, there are usually only superficial injuries but any attack is very
serious and requires that the animal be put down.  I am and was extremely
saddened by that attack and will never be able to understand it.  We do our
best, all of us, and then suddenly we are the statistic.  Only God knows
why!

In Christ
Jack