The Family from the North was ... Re: [at-l] This Past Weekend....very long post

--- DaRedhead@aol.com wrote:
> Sorry for the long rant . . . but those two deserve parents of the
> decade awards as far as child-rearing goes.  I don't think anyone who
> has met them can contradict that.

### I am SO sorry that it's time for me to head home -- which means that I
won't be able to follow-up on this thread unless it survives till Monday,
but... Let me just second each and every word daRedhead said. Each and
every word.

### For those who don't know, I was to throughhike the AT again starting a
year ago next Tuesday (03/20/00) with the (now X) wife and twin sons, who
would have turned 6 climbing Roan Mountain, according to the estimate. A
stupid and tragic divorce killed that, but my kids were ready in '98.
Anyone who's seen my kids hike can attest to that -- their willingness to
put out, to exhaust, and to some extent, to revel in the fatigue. (OK,
that last part perhaps learned from their Daddy.....)

### The simplist fact is that we would not have a country were it not for
the pioneering families who WALKED trackless across the land to settle it;
no one old enough or well enough to walk rode in the prairie schooner. And
they sure as hell didn't waste their time with shoes and socks (if they
could help it) either.

### I'm ranting myself.

have a great weekend...
Sloetoe

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10