[at-l] This Past Weekend....very long post

I left Erwin last Saturday, March 10th, headed for
Springer.  It was a gorgeous day and I took my time.
Stopped to visit at the NOC but saw no thru-hikers
there.  Stopped in Hiawassi and visited at the Holiday
Inn Express, no hikers at that time but I saw a few
wandering around town.  I shuttled two young guys back
to the Blueberry Patch where a few more more hikers
were staying.  It was great to meet the proprietors!
They seem to be great people and I hear wonderful
things every year from NoBoers that have stayed with
them.  I made it to Suches early in the afternoon and
hit fs 42.  The sun was such a treat!
The past three times I was down there it was very
rainy or sleet and snow!  I made it to Gooch Gap and
felt compelled to take a walk...then a nap!
I was waiting for the friends I was meeting to hike in
when a scout group hiked in and set up camp all around
me.  A few minutes later I hear a "Whoodeewhooo!" and
it is my friend Yogi, soon after that, Yurtman, then
Paul and the children all start arriving one after
another.  Mom and Easy Rider are the last to come
after a 16 mile day.  We laughed and talked as we set
up our little Tarp City, gathered firewood and caught
up on the past few weeks.  Everyone was in excellent
spirits as we roasted weenies, made smores and
entertained the scouts with stories.  Sunday dawned
warm and sunny and a great day for everyone to summit
Springer.  I drove to the Springer parking lot.(OK, so
I am a wimp! But hey, those kids set about a 4 mile
per hour hike rate!  I am told that the two year old
hikes faster than me!!!) I visited in the parking lot
with lots of day hikers, several NoBoers just getting
stated.  I teased one gentleman because he was already
rushing around saying he was behind schedule!  I also
got to spend a few minutes with Simply Seeking as she
was going out for a couple of weeks before she goes
out to do the PCT.  I hiked up to Springer and spent
the afternoon lying in the sun, watching the hawks fly
near, visiting with day hikers and a few NoBoers up
from the approach trail.  Later I was joined by Ike
and Sally Lassiter, proud parents of Prana NoBo 2000.
Then Yurtmans mom, dad, sister and 3 yr old neice.
What a welcoming party we had ready!  Late in the
afternoon, Joel-Taz-12 was the first to get to the
marker, then Steady John-11, Hope-Sisu II-10,
Joy-Shortstuff-7, then Paul and Mary with Faith-Easy
Rider-27 months old.  Yurtman and his dog Marley had
made it in as well.  Yogi was the last one to the
marker, indeed, they very last 2000, Southbound Hiker!
He kissed the marker and we all shared a few bottles
of champagne I had carried up.  Sweet, sweet evening.
I will always love them all for letting me be involved
in their adventure!
We all hiked down and spent a wonderful evening at the
Lassiters beautiful cabin.  Monday dawned cool and
very wet!  So everyone spent their first day off the
trail just chillin.  Yurtman left to get ready to
shoot a wedding then he plans to go on another
walk...where is not the point.  Yogi and I gave the
Family some alone time to make some important
decisions about their immediate plans. Yogi will be
heading north, solo, in a few days.  He would love to
stay on the trail for a long time!  He wants his name
to be mentioned along with those such as Lone Wolf,
Baltimore Jack, Seiko.
When we returned from Dahlonega the next afternoon
they had made the decision to rest at the cabin for a
few days then start hiking north. They found a lot of
people who were very generous and supportive of their
SOBO hike.  They would not have made it without that
support and without the other hikers that helped along
the way.  They are very thankful to all of those who
helped to make it happen.  I can't speak for the
others that provided gear, offered shelter, bought
meals, donated money or prayed for this Family from
the North,  but for me and my family and the little we
had to offer...we got much more in return!! They plan
to hike north to where they have a home and over 40
acres of land in Maine where they live very rustically
and very self sufficiently and have for years. They
plan to stop and work as it is necessary because they
do not EXPECT their hike to be supported.
The "OTHER" list has discussed the Family for days
with many valid points being made but with many
misconceptions about the family as well.  Such is life
on "AS the TRail Turns".  This family adventure
started out as one thing and became another.  It
touched a lot of people and made alot of people think,
ask questions and form opinions.  Is that a bad thing?
I do not forsee many hikes like theirs in the future
for the AT.  For many reasons, 1,  It is very damned
hard!  I don't always look forward to taking my 3
girls car camping for the weekend!  2, the
circumstances are quite unique. 3,  Most of the TV
raised, public school educated, over dressed, over
fed, spoiled children in our society couldn't do it.
It made me reevaluate my goals for my own children.

I didn't mean to be so long winded.  Thank you all for
letting me share my experience with this list.  It was
a very special weekend,

Miss Janet