From: Sloetoe [mailto:sloetoe@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 12:55 PM
To: A.J. Whitney; AT-L mailing list
Subject: Re: [at-l] I'm thruhiking for MS. Want to help out? Want to
explain where tuckerizing came from?

--- "A.J. Whitney" <ajwhitney@pobox.com> wrote:
...a bunch of neat things about herself, her uncle, and MS...

### A.J., if you don't garner much of a response, don't feel bad.
1) Your post asked broader general questions -- but they're questions
harder to answer well without the respondent writing a book, and some of
us stretch our time a lot just to participate as much as we do. (Although,
some of us enjoy the *writing* of such posts, too!)

2) This is a _social_ list that derives much of its
community/socialization substance from getting to know someone over time
(through their posts/responses on a variety of subjects ranged from
serious to trivial) *and* on the infusions of face-to-face we afford each
other whenever we can stretch an excuse to do so (business travel,
vacations, Trail Days, shuttles, etc.). These things we do/use to put meat
on the bones of the community skeleton found here (and on the
BackpackingLight, pctl, cdtl lists as well). And while you may have been
lurking here for awhile, we don't know you from Adam. (And I'm sure that's
our loss, but...) It's therefore hard for you to have credibility to just
stroll in and say "Hi! Give me money! (It's for a good cause, you know.)"
and strike the money-moving bone of the entire list on the first blow.

3) Your stated intentions are noble and good, but they won't get you to
Katahdin. (Well, actually, hmmmm, they might, all in all by themselves.
But understand this: every year, people equally well-intentioned as you
have struck out on the same path with the same good and noble intentions,
and not made it very far.) With that, why should we write checks off to MS
on account of your championing that cause, when we can write those same
checks right now anyway, and to MS or to Lupus (Best Wishes to Leah Ross
from Greencastle Indiana) or to.......??? There are any number of good and
needy causes having no connection to the AT or this list's members. [With
a slight connection, if we were to take all of the water potability
methods dumped (tuckerized) by Damascus Virginia and ship them to third
world countries, the life saving impact would be immediate and huge, but
we don't do that, either.] As a lurker, you know us to be a warm campfire
of a list, but we don't know you, and that personal connection is needed
for *you* to have credibility. Once *you* have credibility, you can lend
some to your cause. Think perhaps of casting your net a little closer to
home.

4) I don't mean to let the air out of your balloon. Please do consider
yourself an "aye-tee-eller" and keep us posted on your progress, and let
us cheer you on (as a hiker, at least, if not also as an MS champion).

5) I do mean to speak for the list. If I am wrong, <any>listers, please
say so, and know I mean no intentional impugning or disparagement, and
I'll take all of your comments in the best light.

Best,
Sloetoe

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the
great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty
enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10