[at-l] Somewhat OT Help Needed

I guess this is tangentially relevant to some of the recent discussion
of the dangers of cold-weather hiking, if only for the historical
perspective on emergency self-rescue:
I am trying to remember the title of the book by Peter Freuchen in which
he describes having to amputate his own gangrenous toes with a pair of
tin-snips, subsequent to frostbite. I remember that once he determined
that there was no hope of saving the toes, he cut a hole in his tent and
stuck the front of his foot out into the cold, in hopes of providing
some anaesthesia....He wrote about 20 books, about half of those on
Arctic and Greenland exploration, but I just can't find the relevant
passage in the local library or online...Many thanks in advance if
anyone here can help me find the book title and page numbers!

Alejandro

"...let them walk, let them walk, that the darkness overtake them not."
St. Augustine