[at-l] Warning to winter Smoky hikers

--- Jack <elexious48@home.com> wrote:
> > Got down (eventually) to the tiny
> > widdle spring only to find a HUMAN turd floating in circles around a
> > gay pinwheel of tangled toilet paper. I don't know what that spring is
> > like now, but there was no use in hunting downhill for another
> > issuance; I gave up, trudged back up hill, and went on my way.
>

> You could have just kicked the turd out with your boot and then spent 20
> minutes or so digging the spring out a little.  You do know how to dig
> one out if the water is only seeping?  Could have been a very nice
> gesture for those behind you.
### Hi Jack, I'm Sloetoe. Glad to meetcha. Since you don't know me, I'll
tell you explicitly that I did in fact dig out all the poop/paper within
the drainage into the spring (it went a good 6' away -- I don't know what
they were attempting) and buried it. And as the summer of '79 was a dry
one in Pennslyvania, we were all accustomed to digging out springs. But
knowing that I couldn't be assured of getting every little nanogram of
pooh (even with the good circumferential surface scrape 6' around), I
plain chickened out on waiting and taking water there. (Even as an
Irishman, knowing I've got to eat a peck before I go...) So I demarkated
the area with a big log, climbed my weary way back up to the leanto, and
wrote a *blistering* indictment of mankind and Pennslyvania scum (sorry k
et. al.) in particular. As I said in the prior post, I'd really love to
read that entry today.

Live green,
Sloetoe

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10