[at-l] Re: Warning to winter Smoky hikers

> I think the point is that there can be bugs in water and there may be GI
> adverse events. Yet in general, these are self limiting problems, or such
> that treatment can be delayed and/or limited to symptomatic interventions.
> Equine urine, like human renal output, is sterile - unless the horse or
> human happens to have a Urinary Tract Infection. Even so, the issue is one
> of an insult to our sense of propriety rather than an insult to our immune
> systems.
>
> OrangeBug

I know that in most desert areas out west, hikers are encouraged to piss
into the streams rather than on terra firma..

Bill, I know how you felt there at Cosby and Tri-Corner Knob.  I was in that
area during the big storm of 93 and a chopper hovered over my camp, dropped
down a plastic bag with colored pennants, (red for medical, yellow for
food), and I waved the yellow one and was lowered 12 mre's.  Well the
tabasco was good.  I did not want nor need evacuation, nor did many others
who nonetheless took the chopper ride and went to Sugarlands and then to
Gutlesberg......