[at-l] REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD FOOD IDEA NEEDED

Back when I used the closed cell foam pads, I would use their insulation
value to take all sorts of frozen stuff for the first night.  I would freeze
the item in a ziplock draped over a bottle, so it would be frozen curved to
roll easily into in the pad -- just be sure it is INSIDE the tiedown straps,
so that it doesn't slip out the end of the rolled pad, as you hike.  Even in
mid summer, stuff often had ice crystals in it at supper time.

If you are going soon [mild weather] frozen stuff might still work w/o the
closed cell.  Or, equip him with a blue pad, doubling as a cooler.

One of the kid's favorite first night meals was a nice steak.  If we were
having a fire (as we normally did, in those days), I cook baked potatoes.
Wash, grease, and pick the potato.  Wrap and seal in foil.  Wrap that in wet
paper towels and then another layer of foil.  Cook in the coals of the
fire -- about one hour.

Another favorite was skillet fried stuffed pork chops or pork loin.
(Adjust amounts as needed.)

Meat
Croutons
Dried egg
Dried milk
Dried onion
Dried celery -- note, be sure to slice thin across the strings before
dehydrating
Celery salt
Sage
Thyme

[Note, fresh egg, milk, onion, & celery can be substituted if you want.
Just add to croutons & spices at camp.]

At home:

Mix croutons Dried egg, Dried milk, Dried onion, Dried celery -- plus celery
salt, sage, & thyme to taste.

Prepare the meat about 3/4 to 1 inch thick with a pocket for stuffing.

At camp:

Add enough water to mix for desired moistness and to hold together.

Stuff pocket.

Fry over slow heat.

Chainsaw

BTW -- If you don't have one, check NOLS _Wilderness Guide_ out of a
library.  They have some great recipes in Appendix II.  Their Fruit Cobbler
and Apple Crisp are easy killer sweets.