[at-l] Unprepared hikers required rescue...

Here's the news item, it's not about the incident over the weekend,
but instead about a small, private adventure high school. Seems they
would know better.

>March 14th, 2001 at 2:26:22 PM
>
>  CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - A Brownsville, Vt., school has agreed to pay
>the cost of  searching for a group of teachers and students who got
>lost in the White Mountains  in December.
>
>Fish and Game Col. Ron Alie said Adventure Quest, a private high
>school that  teaches outdoor skills, volunteered to pay $5,000.
>
>Three teachers and two students spent a bone-chilling night on Mount
>Lafayette after being caught in a snowstorm. Fish and Game said they
>were not wearing proper clothing and did not have a detailed map or
>sleeping bags.
>
>Fines or donations are given to the New Hampshire Outdoor Council,
>an organization that gives grants to private volunteer rescue groups.

Also, The Boston Globe ran an editorial on Wednesday. It calls for
the NH State Legislature to create a small hiking fine, $100 for
small incidents. I'll post the entire editorial separately but he's a
quote I find has a lot of attitude against those of us who enjoy
winter hikes and backpacks:

--
Arthur D. Gaudet         	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer)  	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH