[at-l] REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD FOOD IDEA NEEDED

At 07:22 PM 3/13/01 -0500, kahley7 wrote:

>Other than the fact that he doesn't like chili or vegetables, or tuna, the
>field is open.  What glorious food/bait would you use to hook a future sherpa?

The few times I have done this, take a newbie that is, I have taken freeze
dried dinners. Most have heard of them but never actually eaten one. I do
explain that it is not what is really eaten by most and cost prohibitive
for long distance hiking, but for a weekend the cost is not too bad. Plus
it does help keep their pack weight down somewhat. Keep in mind that these
where guys whose culinary skills where somewhat challenged at home, so
keeping it simple in the back woods was also important.
As far as the rest of it, I show them no mercy :) I pick one of the hardest
sections with the most amount of climbing. I pray all week long before the
weekend for the worst weather. I make them show up at my place at 3 AM. I
go through the stuff they have brought from home and make them leave all
the things that where not on my list, which is usually a large pile.
I then pack it for them in one of my spare packs and we are on the road by
4 AM.
After all that and they call me and ask when I am going out again and can
they come I know they are cut out for it :)
One still does and the other two, well at least they still speak to me <G>.
Good luck Kahley, hope you both have fun.

Doug

---