[at-l] Book Review - "Ten Million Steps"

"Ten Million Steps" by M.J. Eberhart AKA Nimblewill Nomad

What do you say about the journal of someone who walked the length of the
entire Eastern seaboard? If this were ancient Greece, Hurcules would be his
sidekick. His hike began by hiking a mostly submerged Florida Trail and an
out-of-control campfire mangled his sleeping bag and pack. A start like
that would have sent lesser souls running for home, but not Nomad. He
continued to hike submerged trail until the floods from El Nino became too
dangerous before he blue blazed to avoid drowning.

After leaving the flooded FT he traversed the remainder of Florida through
Alabama to Springer mountain on trails, roads and by bushwhacking where the
trail hadn't been built yet. He was unaware of the IAT into Canada when he
began but when he learned of it he decided to continue on through to Cap
Gaspe some of which required more bushwhacking as well as hiking through
areas normally closed to hikers at the time of year he got there.

Having done all that he decided to return to his starting point and hike
South to Key West. No point leaving the job unfinished, eh? (As our
Canadian friends would say) And all this in one calendar year. Holy hiking
boots, Batman!

Lest you think this is a macho he-man, look at me kind of book you should
know that Nomad is very candid about his own fears, low points and his
gratitude to others. This is a mellow guy who just can't quit. There has
been some discussion lately on the list about introverts/extroverts, are
thru-hikers loners, etc. I'd class Nomad as an extrovert. He apparently
knows all the FT section leaders not to mention a lot of others. Although
he comfortably spends a lot of time alone, he is very happy to have company
when it's available.

"Ten Million Steps" is a well written account of a truly epic hike. If you
are into thru-hike memoirs you must read this one.

Saunterer