[at-l] Review "Walking the Dream"

I had one request for reviews (it doesn't take much encouragement to set me
off) so here goes...

"Walking the Dream" by Ellen Wolfe
I find that I'm partial to women writers when it comes to AT thru-hike
memoirs because women generally spend more time talking about the
experience of the hike while male writers tend to dwell on the details.
Wolf Woman did not disappoint me. If anything, she raised the bar.

Her's was a mid life hike undertaken to fulfill a lifelong dream and to
raise money to fight cancer after losing a friend to breast cancer. She
writes well and like my other favorite woman's memoir, "There are Mountains
to Climb", I found myself both sharing her lows and cheering her on. The
initial chapters are the background which tells of "the dream" and the mid
life 'crisis' which propelled her to pursue  the dream, how she raised
money for cancer and the process of preparing for the hike.

She began the hike with her daughter who stayed with her through the first
week of the hike. The remainder of the hike she was either alone or hiked
intermittently with those she met on the trail. She had a few experiences
as a solo woman hiker that might give pause to other women planning a solo
thru hike. As a rather large male I tend not to be aware of the problems
that others of less threatening stature sometimes encounter.

She did enjoy strong support from women friends and her step mother who met
her along the trail at strategic times including some very out-of-the-way
places in Maine where luck played a role in hiker and car driving supporter
managed to find each other against the odds. In general this was not a
supported hike though. Wolf Woman is every inch a thru-hiker and churned
out miles to be the first woman to complete a thru in 1997.

On the AT memoir 5 muddy boot scale this one gets all 5 muddy boots.

Saunterer