[at-l] Howdy

"Robert Smith" <rociiirociii@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey been perusing some of the postings here and have been quite impressed
> with the breadth and depth of trail knowhow on display here. My name is Rob
> and I live in Winchester, Va, right smack in the middle of the beautiful
> Shenandoah Valley. A buddy and I hike the AT in sections of N. Va from the
> W.V line to Front Royal, the Tuscaroura Trail in W.V.-Va and some in the
> Shenandoah Nat'l Park. Just bought my first pair of serious boots and I'm
> thinking I've made a mistake with the purchase...damn things are killing the
> tops of my toes right on the joint. The boots are Vasque Skywalk's and they
> are leather. Maybe I just need to break them in more, I've done about 15
> miles in them I would guess. Anybody out there own these boots or has had
> similar problems with new boots and would like to comment I would be most
> appreciative.  Good luck to all you through hikers this year, sure hope to
> be joining you one day!

Welcome to the campfire. Here, have a smashmallow!

Boots are so personal, it's hard to give advice. It won't stop most of us,
but...

When I break in a new pair of all leather boots, I get them good and wet and
then walk them dry. I know, some people frown on this, but here is the
procedure I use.

  Remove the insoles and soak the boots in water. For at least an hour.

  Take them out and dry the insides with crushed up newspaper for a
  couple of hours. Do not put them near any heat source.

  Put in the insoles, put on your hiking socks and liners, and go for a
  long walk. All day preferred.

Now my boots will often go through this scenario on the trail if I'm going
out in the winter or wet northern Maine regions anyway, but this always
seems to result in comfortable boots.

If the boots are slightly too small, they will often stretch in this
process. If you are prone to blisters, you might be in some trouble here, so
try this - put bread sacks on between your liner socks and your hiking socks
to act as a friction enhancer. I've used this trick to wade creeks and
rivers with my boots on - however on my thru hike I simply walked across in
my boots and then stopped and emptied them out. By Maine, my feet no longer
cared if they were hiking wet or dry...

Good luck.

-Paddler

--