[at-l] Dehydration question and a few others (maildrops, reservations)

Hi everyone. I just finished dehydrating some cream of chicken soup and it
seemed to dry OK but there is a film of oil (grease?) on it. Do I have to
toss it or will some foods dry like this? I noticed this happened when I
tried to dry ham also.

Another thing. Is it acceptable to send maildrops to inns or motels listed
in the guide books even if you aren't sure if you will be able to stay at
them. For ie: if they don't have any vacancies or room available. Some say
they will accept maildrops but I don't want to do anything rude. Along the
same lines.... do these places along the way require reservations? How do
you handle this when you're first starting out and don't know yet what your
mileage per day will be?

Last question...what should I keep in mind when trying to predict when to
send maildrops and how many days worth of food to put into them when I don't
know (not a clue!) how many miles per day I'll be doing.

Thanks so much!
Daria