[at-l] Regulation (was My Weekend)

At 05:44 PM 3/5/01 -0500, James Bullard wrote:
>At 01:52 PM 3/5/01 -0500, Hal Wright wrote:. In all that time I have never seen any evidence to suggest that the majority of businesses today are any more altruistic or less greedy than they were in the era that spawned all of the regulation we have today.
>
>Saunterer

Agreeded..but let's look farther.  The decade of greed.....and I'm talkin' about the 90's not the 80's proved that the true
greed lies in the populace.  The stockholders demand profits and don't often seem to care how those profits are
acheived.  With everyone lookin at their retirement accounts, they seem to be all to willing to overlook anything else.
I can't name the fund, but I saw a report on one that was aimed at stocks in companies with strictly ethical management...
companies that protected their workers, the environment and all that good stuff.  They had very modest returns....and
people dumped the stock looking for more bucks.  We like to blame 'business' but if we look behind the explotive
habits of business we find a lot of people who are just lookin after their own bottom line.