[at-l] Alcohol stove at Altitude

> What is the highest altitude that anyone has used one of these stoves. I
> plan on taking one (a Trangia) as a backup for a Mt Rainier summit.  Am
> I wasting pack space and weight?

I have used a Trangia for backpacking and hiking at altitudes up to 13000 feet in the Colorado Rockies.  It is ok for summer time backpacking when the streams are running.  It is important to use small amounts of water in the alcohol to slow down the burn rate by raise the boiling point of the alcohol.

Winter conditions (melting snow) are another matter.  You will need to carry far too much fuel and waste alot of time to melt snow for a backup appliance.  Will there only be one stove in your party?

When mountaineering in winter to spring conditions (when snow is likely) I prefer to carry a few Trioxane bars or Esbit tablets as backup fuel.  They are small, compact, and do not leak.

Cheers,
Terry
GAME'98
MEGA'01