[at-l] Newborn Spring

NEWBORN SPRING

I sat before the newborn spring and felt the icy wind like an infant's
fingers, chilled from exploring little lips and tongue; cool, damp
fingers on my face.

The chipmunk studied in silent stares; like a baby looks and wrinkles his
brow, casting all about his father's face. Eye to eye, locked in silent,
smiling gaze, we let the moments pass.

A shiver and the spell is broken. Back in time, we go our ways, he to his
brown den, I to my homeward blaze. Along the Trail, the baby sleet plays
and softly taps on leafy ground, trying to rouse the unborn blooms.

The waking hour is soon, but not yet, and God covers the mountain's side
with  blankets of gray flannel clouds. The infant spring blinks and
stirs, then sleeps again.

Hopeful
Rock Gap Shelter, North Carolina
February, 2001