[at-l] Road in Smokies---

A new issue of National Parks (Nat. Parks Conservation Assn.) came today.
On p. 16-17, there's an article about a proposed 21 mile road from Fontana
Village north through the southern part of the park back out to Bryson City.
Jesse Helms got $16 million appropriated for this year to get the planning
underway.  It's a disturbing article, worth reading.  I don't know if
there's anything about it on www.npca.org or not.  Wildbill? goinggoinggone?
According to the NPS, this road would cut through "the largest roadless area
in the Eastern United States."  This sounds like
something that we can send some letters on.  Leslie (anklebear)