[at-l] Furtrapper's gone and road condition update

Landslides and I just returned from dropping Fur off at Springer. Official
weigh-in at Amicalola was 34 pounds, with water - that boy learned a lot from
this list!

We picked up a hiker walking along 400 on the way to Amicalola - the Lekis
were a sure sign that he wasn't just another bum. I am in big trouble if
vagrants start using poles :) Dropped John off at Amicalola, weighed Fur's
pack and drove to FS 42. Road is in okay condition - a bit rutted in places -
worse than I have ever seen it in the past. We found a pleasant surprise in
the parking lot - Sly had come to wish Fur well and squeeze in a couple days
of hiking. I think it meant a lot to Fur to have people see him off.  Sly
said we had just missed Ms. Rambunny heading north for a repeat NOBO.  Hope
to see them all at Gooch Gap tomorrow. Waterfall, Belcher, Mudbug and another
hiker are headed here tonight and the plan is for us all to meet up at Gooch
for supper tomorrow evening with shuttles backto appropriate vehicles the
next morning. Anyone in the area is welcome to join us.  Big pot of chicken
soup is simmering on the stove right now.

The road between Springer and Coopers Gap is in tough condition - don't even
attempt it without four wheel drive, and then, only if you have a friend
willing to get muddy helping you get out of the ruts. Luckily, we didn't get
stuck, but it wouldn't have been too hard. My poor black Suzuki is now
sporting Tennessee Orange Mud  (does this mean I have to move to TN not NC?)
Picked up a guy from Cambridge England who twisted his knee coming down
Sassafras Mountain and dropped him in Suches.  He wasn't limping so I don't
think it will be too long of a convalescence. I told him he could have a ride
off the trail if he promised to tucker his pack before he got back on. I
could barely lift it to put in the truck. He said it was 26 kilos and that
was before fuel and water.  The road from Coopers out to 60 was fine but had
quite a few trees off to the side and small branches in the road you have to
drive around.

Walasi-yi was busy trying to help the half dozen thruhikers and unpack the
onslaught of supplies waiting for the thruhiker rush. Their newest arrival is
a T-shirt that says "2001 Thruhiker". I limited Landslides to 5 minutes and
she still managed to purchase 6 items!

Now Landslides and I are home and just waiting the arrival of the Louisiana
contingent so we can eat supper.  She is mourning the fact that she flies
home tomorrow morning and can't "join the party" tomorrow night.

POG

If you're going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---