From: Sloetoe [mailto:sloetoe@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 5:49 PM
To: Tim Hewitt; at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: hygiene againnnnnn??? was Re: [at-l] Trip Report

--- Tim Hewitt <Tim.Hewitt@fairchildsemi.com> wrote:
> SaraSW@aol.com wrote:
> > Several folks have talked about colds recently, ...
> >
> > So what do folks do when this happens on the trail?
>
> So I agree with Stitches - my 1999 thru hike was one of the most healthy
> times I have ever had. I did not get even so much as a sniffle.

> Since I also treated my water sources carefully and washed well after
> toileting, I also had no bowel problems...

### Sloetoe can't let Paddler escape unscathed....
### "So Paddler" he says, "my throughhike was also sniffle-free, but I
never washed nor treated my water with anything but respect. And the only
time I suffered a GI complaint was 12 hours after emerging from the green
underground waters of the Williams College pool. (Should I blame Williams
College? ... No, me neither.)"

[Sorry, p. Missed the whole hygiene thing last time around. My take is
(and this carries a lifestyle-dependent HYOH caveat) "Better than washing
on trail is to not get dirty."]

Toe'd