[at-l] AT Smokies and How Much Snow : Condition of A.T.

You Wrote:

I read in yesterdays paper that folks are getting concerned about water at
the higher elevations. They are blaming it on all the development and well
drilling. We have had plenty of rain in this area, so the water may be
adequate. This all could be the gloom and doom people talking. You may want
to check with the park office about water at those elevations.

I read that article also (Knox-News Sentinal)and I don't understand.  I hear
all of the same complaints about bad well water all of the time with my job.
However when a local city spent $2-$3 mill to run water lines and a tank out
in the area, only half of the people who said they *needed* water signed
up......?  I think the article is more propaganda than truth. IMHO.

Someone also Wrote:
Does anybody know of the condition of the trail, with respect to snow
levels, at the present time????

It has been warm recently, even at the higher elevations.

The southern half of the Smokies is very tough????

Fontana to Shuckstack tower is the toughest part. That is probably obvious.

We will be starting somewhere around 6:30 or 7:00 pm onFriday night and
hoping to finish before dark on Sat. night. Somone isgoing to meet us at
Newfound Gap with food and drinks around 7:00am on Sat.
Is the road over Newfound Gap open at this time???

Yes, but it is subject to be closed at the discretion of NPS.  Weather
depending.  The NPS does a pretty good job of notification in the local news
media, especially if snow/ice is threatening.  In your case you will know in
the morning before you take off what the chances are of bad weather.

Good luck!

David

multipart/alternative
  text/html