[at-l] AT Smokies

At 01:34 PM 2/26/2001 -0500, James N. Walters wrote:
>1.  Does the plan look reasonable overall?  We want to make this a fairly
>leisurely hiking/camping trip for 4 people.

Looks a lot like my schedule. That will be leisurely depending on the
weather and the conditioning of the hikers.  You don't mention when you
plan to hike. You will want to assure that the Park Service agrees with
your plan, and that there will be vacancies for 4 hikers when you plan to
go. Plus, a phone call to the park rangers usually results in excellent
information about conditions and advice regarding how to make your trip
successful.

>2.  Are there campgrounds nearby with showers, etc that we could spend the
>night before we hit the trail and after we finish, before we drive home?

There is Gatlinburg just down the hill from GSMNP. Lots of AYCE and shower
opportunities! You probably could go to Mountain Momma's for burgers and
possibly a shower when you get to Davenport Gap. You definitely will want
to refuel before heading back to Ohio.

>3.  I have heard "shuttle's" being mentioned.  Should we take 2 cars, or
>park at the Ranger station at Newfound Gap and then have 1 person take a
>shuttle back to get the car and back to Davenport Gap to pick up the rest
>of the gang?  What seems the best way to accomplish this?

There is no Ranger Station at Newfound Gap. It is simply an overlook. I
don't know if the restrooms are open yet. You might be able to park cars at
Davenport Gap and (my suggestion) the Tennessee Ranger Station near
Gatlinburg. I'd probably leave one car the night you arrive, dump three
hikers and all gear the morning of the hike, drive down and park in
Tennessee, and then hitch a ride up to NFG to join your friends. That
assumes 2 cars. One car means you will want a shuttle to either deliver you
to NFG or to pick you up at Davenport Gap. Again, a call to the Ranger
Station will let you know how reasonable any idea really is.

>4.  Staying in the shelters, do we need to bring tents, or are the shelters
>themselves adequate?

In the GSMNP, they really want you to use the shelters. Thru hikers and
overflow can tent, but the idea is to tent only if the shelter is full or
crowded.

>5.  Any other warnings, suggestions, ideas, etc?

Read up on the trail. Take time for some of the side trails and views, like
Charlies Bunion, Mt Guyot, Mt Cammerer, and such. Anticipate changes in
plans and be flexible. I'd not be terribly surprised for you to get
reservations down in Kephart Shelter and have to walk back up to join the
AT, especially if you wait very late to make your shelter reservations.
I've been down there, and it was a very good trip. There are very few bad
hikes in the Smokies.

OrangeBug