[at-l] tin can stove at AT trailhead

An end to this thread:

right now, I have a list of about 40 people waiting for stoves.  The
requests are coming in at about the rate I can send the stoves out.  I do
not forsee anytime soon making a whole bunch of them to send to the rangers
at Amacalola.
>Still, the rangers might balk at handing out fire toys. It could
>easily be construed as an endorsement and conceivably, uh,
>backfire. OTOH, last year I used a 1.7 oz. wingstove to burn Esbit
>tabs  (got it for less than $5 from http://www.adventuretools.com)
>and later got more just to hand out along the way free to folks
>who admired it. Maybe some GA area trail angels could get hold
>of a few tin can stoves and distribute them along with their Cokes
>and Snickers at Woody Gap, Unicoi Gap, etc.

Spur is right on the $$ here.  A whisperlite is far more heat than a solo
thru-hiker needs for boiling one person worth of water.  Weighs a lot too.
>IMHO, there's no real good reason for a solo thru-hiker to tote a
>Whisperlite, fuel container and white gas (2+ lbs. total) when far
>lighter and simpler ways exist to heat water. And everyone asleep
>in the shelter would appreciate your burning alcohol or Esbit
>rather than firing up your Dragonfly, believe me.

Finally,  I fully agree about the Dragonfly.  Back befor I saw the light, I
used a dragonfly with the idea of taking it on a PCT thru-hike.  It sounded
like a jet taking off!!!! The thought of sitting in front of one of those
every night for 5-6 months while trying to have a "wilderness experience"
was pretty discouraging.  And that was for the PCT, where you are not
typically camping around 10-20 other people also intent on having a
"wilderness experience."  Woo-ooo-ooo those babies are loud!!!

TCSM

BTW, the amazing Tin Can Stove is completely silent.