[at-l] Shelters near Catawba, VA

> ,What I remember best about the BS shelter is that
> it is in disrepair not uninhabital on a rainy night
> but I've passed it up twice.  It is fairly close to
> 311, don't remember much about Catawba shel so its
> probably alot like most shelters cold and damp but
> wonderful on rainy nights.

The Boy Scout Shelter has been cleaned up and is a
nice break point, but I wouldn't count on the spring.
The Catawba Mountain Shelter is nicer, and has a MUCH
better spring.  It's only, what, 2 miles? from 311.  A
nice hike (IMO) would be to hike up to Catawba Mtn
Shelter and drop the packs.  Then day hike on up to
McAffee's Knob.  Then hike back to Catawba Mtn Shelter
for the night.  Maybe it's a _little_ close to the
road to leave your gear at the shelter in complete
confidence it won't get stolen (especially on the
weekend) but you can hide your gear nearby if that's a
concern.

Another option would be to hike all the way to
McAffee's Knob and over to Campbell Shelter.  The
water is a little ways away, but still less than 1/4
mile.  The hike up to McAffee's Knob with a full pack
would be a little challenging to someone not used to
it, but certainly doable if you take your time.

(I grew up in Roanoke and day hiked this (and Dragon's
Tooth) a LOT.  :-)  )

=====
--
Schuyler Stultz