[at-l] loved that jansport

After growing up in the 70s using mostly Boy Scout issue packs, it's really
been a revelation to see how packs have evolved since then.  The last pack I
used in Scouts was non-Boy Scout issue.  I bought it in 1973 and it was the
first I'd seen with a curved frame.  It fit really well - and it was the
brightest orange I'd ever seen.  There were still no waist belts (at least
at my price range) and I'd never even seen an internal frame pack.

This year I've tried a bunch of the packs we have for the Scouts at the
Scout hut and the one I like the best so far is the Jansport Scout.  It's
perfect for 1-2 nights on the trail and its adjustable height-wise so that I
can use it (although its still a little small).  They have lots of pockets
and lots of places to strap on things.  They also seem to be holding up well
with the kids.

We have some Peak-1 packs that are comfortable too, but they are much
heavier.

Charles

P.S. I put on my old orange pack for my first campout with my son last year
and one of the older scouts asked me where my waist belt was.  He said that
"nobody can hike without one".  I told him that I'd never hiked *with* one!!
Times have changed...