[at-l] Chainsaw...........About your cozy............

----- Original Message -----
From: "kahley7" <kahley7@ptd.net>
To: "David Hicks" <daveh@usit.net>
Cc: "at-l" <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 11:54 AM
Subject: [at-l] Chainsaw...........About your cozy............

> Can you tell me again what brand of glue you used for your pot cozy?

Beats me, I made it a long time ago.  I would guess that I used contact
cement.  It's my standard for things that flex and don't get too hot.  Works
great on a lot of other things, too.   At the RUCK, someone suggested
ShoeGoo and someone else suggested Delco flexible.

> And I know you used something other than blue pad to make yours, but
> do you think blue pad would work as well?

I just used an old closed cell sleeping pad.  I think the blue pads are
about the same and should work.

and I know I am dense, but how
> did you hold the ends of the cylinder together while the glue set?

If I used contact cement, there is no holding the parts together while the
glue sets.  You put it on both surfaces, wait for it to get tacky, put the
surfaces together, and they are STUCK -- hence the name "contact."  In using
contact cement on anything, the real problem is not holding the surfaces
together, but keeping them apart until properly aligned.  Once those two
sides are tacky they will bond instantly on contact -- wither you are ready
or not.

If I were to use a slow setting glue, I'd probably use a string wrap for the
cylinder itself & toothpicks to hold the end in place.

BTW -- Did you notice that the joint on the cylinder itself was not parallel
to the axis of the cylinder, but rather at an angle.

      Not                              But rather

My assumption was that it would not be as likely to fold and break that way.

Chainsaw