[at-l] Water filter/purifier/chems/whatever

Well, Rich, if your main criterion is good tasing water, you're going to be
a happy camper. You will be, by definition, drinking "mountain spring
water" most of the way, except perhaps during droughts in the mid-Atlantic
when you may have to use some ponds and creeks that are a little iffy. It
is great-tasting water, by and large. A microfilter like a Pur Hiker adds
nothing to what you're drinking, thus maintaining the very clean, fresh
mountain spring taste. Some folks worry that nasties will get through a
microfilter, though I never had a problem during my thru. The filters that
add a "purifier" are adding chemicals to the water that make it taste
worse, in my opinon. Or, you can go the iodine/cholorine route, which
doesn't filter the water at all, but merely adds chemicals to kill the
critters; people get used to it, and it's a lighter-weight alternative. You
could rely on boiling. Or, do like our fellow lister RockDancer, not treat
water at all. You will find, coming back to civilization, that town water
tastes terrible.

--Rhymin' Worm