[at-l] Mt. Washington via Ammonoosuc

Like the others I offer advice that's essentially the same. In
addition I'll let you know that I've climbed Washington three times
in Winter, also have 20 or so of the other 4000 footers in NH, in
Winter.

Ammonoosuc Ravine presents a significant challenge because of the
prevailing winds. I've climbed each time from the protected side:
Lion's Head, Tuckerman's and even Huntington Ravine (which is
essentially a technical ice climb in winter, another story).

In your favor you are tree protected until well up the mountain so
you can decide, if the weather conditions are good, whether to go for
the top. The trick here is to be willing to turn back if conditions
are not favorable.

If you have access, AMC published a terrific story in AMC Outdoors,
November 1995 about a winter backpack the previous winter. With a
professsional guide the father/son/ made their way up Valley Way to
Madison, then from Madison Hut Sphinx Col for the night. Next day
they got to Lakes of the Clouds where they were hit by a major winter
storm. They huddled in the refuge underneath the hut. The guide
decided to bail out, at midday, via the Ammonoosuc trail and
attempted to lead his clients from the rescue shelter to the
trailhead (a very short distance). He couldn't find it.

 From the story: "Fred and I followed Maury as he plunged over
wind-scoured crust and ice, sometimes blue, sometimes an evil yellow,
toward where he thought he'd find the first cairn of the Ammonoosuc
Trail. Maury hesitated, braced himself against his poles, twisted
left and right. We saw nothing. Fred and I waited, leaning into the
blast. Maury doubled back. He slowly crawled for another couple of
minutes and stopped once more."

The three then decided to go for the trees, making a plunging descent
in 90 MPH winds. They descended about 1200 feet by dark, breaking one
pair of snowshoes in the process, and a pair of ski poles. Another
1200 feet would get them down to the Cog Railway station. They
camped, melted snow for water, ate the last of their food, and dealt
with the father's hypothermia. The storm continued.

At daylight they abandoned the tent, sleeping pads, fuel, other gear
and traveled light. The powder snow meant they were postholing to a
depth of 5 feet or more. They got back into the ravine and descended
"for hours". At last they crossed the trail and saw a blue blaze, 2
hours later they were at the Cog. I bet a blue blaze never looked so
good!

Sorry for the long post, but this tale is one I've thought of often
since I first read it. It reads fine the second time too, getting my
heart pumping at more than a few places. The guide's decision to
leave the shelter of Lakes in the middle of a storm is suspect in my
mind. Also the decision to abandon essential gear. But I suspect the
story isn't providing enough detail to properly evaluate the
situation. He got them out, in terrible conditions.

The guide later wrote his clients that he was "wrestling with demons"
over how the trip turned out. No doubt. This was a man who had lived
on Mt. Washington for 4 years, manning the shelter, in Winter, at
Tuckerman's Ravine.

RockDancer

--
Arthur D. Gaudet         	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer)  	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH