[at-l] Trail Camera?

At 05:18 PM 2/13/01 -0500, W F Thorneloe wrote:
>One choice is a disposable camera. I have been using these on the past few
>hikes, but I do not like the quality of distance shots or how darker
>subjects are managed. There are numerous point and shoot cameras, and the
>real shutter bugs can tell us about the great toys out there. I've looked
>into digital cameras, and I'm not convinced they are idiot proof enough,
>light enough, or reliable regarding batteries and memory chips - yet.
>
>Canon Elyphs seem to be very commonly used out there, and prices for
>cameras in general have fallen. What is your budget and what have you
>looked at?

Disposables are fun but the image quality isn't great. As for digital the
price:image quality ratio just isn't there yet. They make some very good
ones in the $600 to $1000+ range but you can get the same (or better)
quality with a $100 35mm camera. I shoot film then scan from prints or
negs. The Elph series are very small but are APS. The request was for 35mm
recommendations so I stuck with that. If slide film is available for APS (I
don't follow the developments in the APS market) the choices are limited
and the slides are smaller than 35mm so they would require greater enlargement.

Saunterer