FW: [at-l] Keys are the Devil's Toy. { WAS: How to do it? was"Merlinwalks again"}

Hal Wright wrote (in part):

> My plan as of now is to start south from Harper's Ferry in June for a couple
> of weeks after riding in on the train. NO KEYS! Yippee!

Hey, you guys reminded me: I did hike once without car keys.  It was 1977 and my
first backpacking trip longer than a long weekend.  I rode the bus to Wesser at
the Nantahala River (there was no NOC, maybe a store).  The plan was to hike
south to Dicks Creek Gap in Georgia.  I did not quite make it all the way and
rode the bus home from Franklin, NC.  (I wonder if they still have bus
service.)  I had storms and snow and learned something about self reliance and
about riding buses in the middle of the night.

Thanks for reminding me.

Merlin