[at-l] schedule for March Forth 2001

Excuse me, but we both agree on this! Now, I'm not trying to drive 3-4
hours from Atlanta and start at NFG, but will have driven Friday AM, given
my car for a shuttle Saturday, and arranged a ride about noon on Sunday.
Depending on the situation, I'd expect to stealth camp somewhere near
Peck's Corner, but just can't stand the idea of walking only 3 miles to
Icewater Shelter to start.

I've made low mileage days as I get further toward Hot Springs and Sam's
Gap, with the idea that there will be ample wiggle room for a more flexible
schedule. If I have good legs, I might try for Nollichucky. If I have
average legs, Allen Gap might be as far as I get. If the weather is bad, I
might get to find out about helicopter evacuations.

But your points are exactly on beam. I've decided to never plan more than 8
miles per day on any weekend hike for exactly the reasons you state. Even
if HATT2001 occurs, I'll look for a shorter hike than 30+ miles I didn't
complete last year. I know if I get into a hurry with my hiking plan, I
might as well have stayed at home and driven in rush hour traffic.

OrangeBug