[at-l] geology

Robert asked:

> Any geologists out there on the list?

You betcha.

> <what is an> inside crook in the hillside where there is an extensive field of mossy
> rocks and boulders stretching across the path <called?>  Is such a rocky stretch
> properly called a "rock field," a "rock slide," a "rockfall," a "talus
> field," "Pennsylvania," or something else?

Warning!! Geologists are a lot like lawyers when it comes to being
specific: good luck getting a straight answer :)).

In general, rocks deposited by erosional processes (technically referred
to as "mass wasting") are classified by the method of transportation
and/or the environment in which they are deposited. For instance,
material deposited in a non-marine environment is called "fluvium."
(Next time you're out with your sweetie and want to impress, point out
the lovely fluvium.)

If the rocks you've encountered in the crook are moved/deposited purely
by gravity, "rockfall" would work. If they are moved/deposited mostly
due to water, then they may be called fluvium, alluvium, or "stream
bed" or other things that maybe a sedimentologist could provide.

Still with me?

Anyway...after long consultation over beer with other geologists, we've
made the assumption that the rocks move by combination of gravity and
water. Thus, they can be called "colluvium."

"Pennsylvania" is our second choice ;).

scott t.