[at-l] NOT trail related - computer geeks only read

--- DaRedhead@aol.com wrote:
> My system at home crashed last night. KaBOOM - KaBLOWEY - down for the
> count.  Now, I have a handy dandy Quick Restore disk, <snip>
> So when I say no, it kicks me to DOS.
> all my files are THERE, and I can SEE them
> it's not recognizing my a: drive.
### You've got DOS (AND the rest of your files!!!!!!!) because your system
did NOT crash KaBOOM/KaBLOWEY. The error messages sent out would tell the
tale, but there's no general need for paving your entire hard disk. One
quick solution attempt would be to run CHKDSK and then SCANDISK, then have
it FIX any problems it finds, and SAVE TO DISKFILE any file pieces it
picks as problematic.

But it won't recognize the A:drive? Then something went south *before* DOS
in the boot routine. Whip out your old DOS manual and check the SETUP
parameters shown from your computer against what *should* be there.... But
(even when you fix it) whatever nuked your A:drive from the machine's
setup should be found out, or it'll happen again. It could be something as
innocent as a vibration-loosened wire/clip connection inside the machine,
but my bet is that it's a software-induced picnic. Specifically, a
Micro$oft software product. A plot. Feinds. Anywho, if you've got DOS,
don't panic. (Or maybe, continue *not* panicing...)

It's good to be a dinosaur.
Sloetoelopidus

> c) Anyone know anything else I can try before I go the drastic
> QuickRestore route?

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10