[at-l] Vegas and Ice

Thanks for all the input on the Vegas area.  Looks like Red Rock
Canyon will be the place to go given my schedule and abilities
(11,000ft--I don't think so!).  I'll take some pics and post 'em if
they are any good.  How hot will it likely be in mid March?  Shorts?
I usually hike in lightweight long pants until July around here
because of the bugs.

I think I'm all set on lodging, lots of places just off the Strip.

Ice dam (roof) description was right on.  The trick is to keep your
roof cold.  This means insulating/ventilating it.  When the house was
build in 1954, oil was about .30/gallon, so insulation was not a high
priority.  By raking the snow off the lower part of the roof, the ice
doesn't build up too much at the edges. Plus the pitch is pretty
steep (12/12).   A little prevention cures a whole lot of problems
later on.  Kind of like treating hot spots before they become
blisters.

Now here's another question:
I'm driving to the GMC trails meeting in Waterbury VT.  (Waterbury
Center, actually).  Should I take I91 to I89, less direct but bigger
roads, or US7 and VT100, more direct smaller roads?  Any time
estimates from the Vermonsters on the list? I'm 20m south of
Bennington.  It takes me 2hrs to get from Williamstown to WRJ.  How
long from WRJ to Waterbury?

Thanks again,

Cosmo