[at-l] Tell me your troubles...

kahley7 <kahley7@ptd.net> wrote:
[clip]
> the turd.  Some campsite have a 20yd no man's land surrounding it...yuck.
> Why can't folks just walk a little farther?

You really nailed it with this one. It's not so much the digging implement
used as the location and appropriateness of the hole dug.

If I used a trowel and dug my cathole in the middle of the path right behind
the shelter, it would be inappropriate at any time.

If I used my heel and scraped a surface scrape 1/4 mile from anything, it
would also be inappropriate at any time (sorry Your Slowness, but we are not
bears when we shat in the woods).

Education on the appropriate place and type of hole to dig is really more
important that the digging implement used. If you can dig an appropriate
hole without a shovel and in the right place, that's a good thing. If you
don't know where and how to dig, yet you use a shovel, that's not a good
thing...

-p