[at-l] Tell me your troubles...

--- Sloetoe <sloetoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
-- I have
> found that walking
> just a minute more (and trying *not* to crash a path
> out of the virgin
> understory) produces an area much better positioned
> to absorb new use.

My friend Not Yet, who is a wilderness instructor,
said to walk two "see-fars" before digging a hole and
dumping your load. I asked what a see-far was, and she
said, "Pick out a point off the trail that's as far as
you can see, then walk there. Then pick out a new
point that's as far as you can see from that first
point, and walk there." In the same direction, of
course. :)

All this talk reminds me of the song that I always got
stuck on as I hiked (actually it would get in my head
as I was digging the hole ... then I'd be stuck on it
for a week) ...

Dig a hole, dump your load
Dig a hole, dump your load
That's what ya gotta do (do do)