[at-l] Tell me your troubles...

--- Merlin <ept@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> goinggoinggone@webtv.net wrote (in part):
> > While we're on the subject, what is the most interesting, memorable or
> > riveting sight
>
> In this case I was the sight rather than the digger.

### Well, I was the sight giver..... It was in Vermont, right after I'd
crossed into the state, that I received a G/I bug -- a horrible thing,
really, that beat me up with drop-you-in-your-tracks stomach cramps and/or
... nether-fireworks... for 3-4-5 days (I don't know, I was in pain). [And
water-wise, I don't know what to blame -- I'd hiked all of Connecticut
(even thought I'd hiked it perhaps six times before) but had yellow-blazed
most of Massachusetts (which, although I'd enjoyed it the previous fall,
wanted to make up some time...).] In any event, I was getting about 60
seconds warning before the fireworks and had the drop, TP-grab, and stroll
down to a smooth art form. It's surprising, actually, just how far you can
go [perpendicular from the trail] in 60 seconds... But on one occasion, I
figgered I had perhaps 15-20 nanoseconds: stop, step, drop 'trow'.
<small pause>
Well, there I am, gathering my wits sufficient to establish that... that I
had not [ruined] myself with such short notice, sighing in relief, just to
look up and meet the eyes of..... an entire Girl Scout troop, frozen
southbound in the trail not twenty feet away. Their young eyes registered
the shock of gentle souls confronting horrible truths. Me, I could only
look sheepishly down at my feet, grateful to hear the leader (at the, ah,
rear of the line) blurt "Up! Hup! Oh! Girls! Here, ladies, here! Ahhhh,
let's check out these trees back here! I think I see something
*interesting* back here! Come, girls! NOW!" The whole troop backed up
without turning around, speechless.

I sometimes wonder what became of Troop 329.....
Sloetoe

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10